Unlike other carriers such as Verizon which unlock all of their 4G devices, AT&T still locks all of its devices to AT&T only unless you unlock it. So, if your smartphone is locked then you won’t be able to put the SIM of other carriers and expect it to work. It won’t work and it will be locked to AT&T only so, you won’t be able to use it with any other carrier domestically or overseas. To unlock your AT&T device, there is a certain criterion that you will have to meet and after that, your device will be unlocked. Continue on reading to learn how you can unlock your AT&T device and know if you meet its criteria.
Why Do I Need to Unlock my AT&T Device?
Well, AT&T locks all of the devices to its network only so, to use it with any other carrier you will have to request an unlock. To know that whether your device meets the criteria to be unlocked, click here and check on AT&T’s official website. Below are the requirements that the must meet before it can be unlocked:
- The device must be locked to AT&T and designed to use for it.
- The device must not be reported lost or stolen by any other users.
- The device must not be associated with any fraud or any illegal activity.
- All the installment plans and service commitments must be completed and termination fees paid in full.
- The device should not be on an active AT&T account.
- If you did an early upgrade then you will have to wait for the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request for unlocking of your device.
- If your device was activated with installment plan or service commitment then your account need to be active for at least 60 days with no previous unpaid free remaining.
If your device meets all the aforementioned requirements then AT&T will approve your unlock request. Once it is eligible for unlocking, AT&T will send you with information on how to unlock your iPhone. If you need to know about additional details then you can read them here on AT&T’s official website.
You Might be Interested in:
How can I Unlock my AT&T Smartphone?:
AT&T’s policies are very strict and they won’t unlock your device, unlike Sprint which does it without any requirements. You will have to make a request and wait for AT&T to approve it.
- From your Windows/Mac visit att.com/deviceunlock from any browser.
- Read and confirm that you agree to the eligibility requirements to unlock your device,
- Fill and submit the form.
- You will receive a confirmation email with your request number.
- Open the link in the email within 24 hours to confirm unlock request.
- Now, AT&T will respond you in 1-2 day(s).
- If all the requirements meet then AT&T will approve it and send you an approval email but if requirements don’t meet then it may reject it or ask for more information.
- After the approval email is received, you can then remove the AT&T’s SIM Card and insert the SIM Card of any other carrier.
My Device is Unlocked, Now?:
If you are worried that how will my device be unlocked, then don’t worry, AT&T will walk you through the process. After your device is unlocked you can then use it on any domestic or overseas carrier.
- Turn off your device and remove the AT&T SIM Card.
- Insert the SIM card of any other carrier that you want to use.
- Now, Turn your device on and after it boots up, follow the on-screen instructions to continue.
Were you able to easily unlock your device? If yes then let me know and if you got any issue then leave a comment too.